Dr Heide Hackmann
Cape Farewell Board Member
Executive Director, International Social Science Council (ISSC)
Heide Hackmann read for a M.Phil in contemporary social theory at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, and holds a PhD in science and technology studies from the University of Twente in the Netherlands. Heide has worked as a science policy maker, researcher and consultant in the Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom and South Africa. From 2003 to 2007 she served as Head of the Department of International Relations and Quality Assessment of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
She was elected to the position of Secretary-General of the International Social Science Council (ISSC) by the Council’s General Assembly in November 2006, and has served as the organisation’s Executive Director since December 2010. Heide represents the ISSC on numerous international committees and policy fora, and co-chairs the international Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability that has established Future Earth, a new international research for global sustainability initiative.
She also holds membership of several international advisory committees, including:
- the Scientific Advisory Board of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany
- the Swedish Research Council’s Committee for Development Research, Sweden
- the Advisory Board of the Global Environmental Policy Programme, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- the ESASTAP Plus Advisory Board (an initiative aimed at Strengthening Technology, Research and Innovation Cooperation between Europe and South Africa)
- the Global Advisory Committee for the Equity & Sustainability Field Hearings Project of the Initiative for Equality (IfE)